Introducing Telestax Restcomm Smart 2FA
Restcomm Smart 2FA from Telestax helps communications service providers to deliver robust, scalable two-factor authentication.
The Telestax Restcomm Smart 2FA application is here to provide an intuitive out-of-the-box omni-channel two-factor authentication (2FA) solution that communications service providers (CSPs) can rebrand to offer to their enterprise and small-to-medium size business customers.
What is 2FA?
2FA helps organizations protect user accounts and verify the identity of online users. For example, companies like WhatsApp have built their empire of over 1 billion users on top of 2FA as a method for verifying user identity using SMS. Many other popular companies have followed the same method in their user sign-up process. These include Oracle Cloud, Expedia, SAP, Bank Of America, Amex, Uber, Microsoft, Apple, Airbnb, and many more.
Enhanced Security with 2FA
Today, almost every popular application relies on 2FA as the best method to verify user identity when signing up or logging into an application online. According to a recent report by Google, NYU, and the University of California San Diego, receiving a secondary SMS code blocked 100 percent of automated attacks, 96 percent of bulk phishing attacks, and most direct, targeted attacks.
2FA Use Cases
- Financial: Financial institutions enable 2FA regularly to ensure secure access to banking portals, mobile banking devices, financial records, and more. As 2FA is completely programmable, a bank may choose to require 2FA on specific events like sending an international wire.
- Healthcare: Healthcare facilities may choose to enable 2FA to allow for secure access to patient records or to manage security in online appointment scheduling. New areas such as consultation calling in healthcare where the patient and doctor might be in different locations can benefit from 2FA to ensure patient identity and privacy.
- Travel: A travel agency may implement 2FA so that customers can access their account history securely and privately, save credit/debit card information for a faster checkout experience and gain the status of a verified account that can book now and pay later.
- Retail: A retail chain may enable 2FA so that customers can login securely to order goods and services online and save and update their credit card or Paypal account information with confidence.
- Automotive: Car rental companies may enable 2FA so that customers can book and pay for car rentals securely.
- Online Marketplaces: Online marketplaces may enable 2FA to verify the identity of their buyers and sellers so that they can conduct transactions with confidence that the other party has been securely verified in advance in the marketplace.
How Smart 2FA Works
Smart 2FA lets you send an OTP using SMS, voice, or email with the option to resend or cancel verification codes in real time. The Smart 2FA solution comes equipped with an intuitive console for communications service providers (CSPs) to easily monitor 2FA transactions in real time and drill down into the log details of every verification transaction.
The new solution provides CSPs with a RESTful application programming interface (API) that handles OTP generation, combined with bring-your-own-carrier (BYOC) features and much more. It also allows your enterprise customers to add a second layer of security to any application in addition to the user-id and password.
Flexible, Dependable 2FA
The flexibility of using any channel (SMS, voice, email) makes sure your users get the OTP even when they experience issues with one of the channels. For example, if the user doesn’t get the OTP on their handset due to issues like “storage full,” the Smart 2FA can send the OTP via email or via a voice call in hundreds of languages using a text-to-speech (TTS) engine.
For over a decade, enterprises depended on over-the-top (OTT) players and their APIs to easily integrate 2FA into service offerings. The reason for this was because most CSPs do not offer APIs directly to enterprise. With Telestax Smart 2FA we make it easy and straightforward for CSPs to provide their enterprise customers with branded APIs and developer documentation.
This is great news for enterprise customers as well, including popular ones like Microsoft, Facebook, and more. When CSPs offer 2FA APIs directly to companies, this will enable them to have better cost, higher delivery rate, faster support when an incident happens, and that results in more signups, more revenue, fewer tickets and better overall customer experience.
Smart 2FA for Communications Service Providers
5 Distinct Advantages
1) BYOC – Bring-your-own-carrier (BYOC) to reduce costs and enable better delivery rates. The CSP is able to control routing from their existing core softswitch / SMSC to quickly address delivery or routing issues.
2) Simple API – Simple APIs to Send OTP via various channels including SMS, voice, or email.
3) Control API – Control APIs like cancel existing OTP (while it is still active) to resend a new one. Or keep an old OTP active for a period of time while a new one is also sent. Many times there are network delays and users receive the first OTP after a delay while the system would have already generated a second OTP. In that case, allowing both the OTPs offers more options for users.
4) Rich API Set – Rich API set allows users to select any language for voice call via text-to-speech (TTS) with support for engines like VoiceRSS, Acapella, Amazon Poly, and Google Text-to-Speech.
5) Intuitive Console – Allows users to view usage reports by day, month, or year and search using filter criteria like country code, channel, delivery status, and more.
Remove the Obstacles to 2FA Implementation
Enterprises and small-to-medium size businesses are challenged to deploy 2FA capabilities that can meet their needs, often relying on over-the-top (OTT) solutions. However, because an OTT vendor doesn’t own the connection, issues are commonly caused by aggregators mixing routes or having limited capacity, in addition to cost and security concerns. With Smart 2FA, CSPs can use their own carrier network to provide better network quality, pricing, and network configuration for business customers.
Learn more about implementing 2FA and the new features that the Smart 2FA solution offers by contacting email@example.com.